PlanetSide 2

A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND

Instructions, tactics & more, written by gamers for gamers. Here you can discuss your (comprehensive) instructions and tactics with other gamers.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 am Subject: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
I'm sure you've read through a couple of these topics before and found about about a few things here and there. I just wanted to add a bit of my own experience and help anyone out there who might benefit from these "fixes" yet hasn't read about them yet.

Ok so here are a few fixes I've tried which actually helped with my FPS. At first I got 10 fps in any battle and not more than 30 fps at warpgate. Playing with a few things I managed to up that to 15 fps in heavy battles, 20 fps in small battles and 40 fps at warpgate. However, playing with a few more things I now managed to set my FPS to 20 in heavy battles, 40 FPS in small battles and up to 90 FPS at warpgate.

So, what did I do?

1) I unparked my cores. If you have a pc with 2, 4, 6, 8 cores you'll want to use this because this will help with every game. Windows, for some reason, by default puts your cores into "parked" mode whenever you're not using them. Parking and unparking them causes slight hitches and glitches. If you put those cores to "unparked" by default they will always operate and during those spikes when the pc needs to unpark them for a second there will be no glitches since they're unparked all the time. This will evenly manage all operations between 2 cores. In the long run it helps with your pc's performance, will cause less heat build-up in your pc...but will slightly use more power (electricity). You will see improvements in every application, not only games. For example Winrar is noticeably faster for me now. Download the application here: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/D ... ng-Utility

2) Next, go to your Planetside 2 folder (where you installed the game). Open up the UserOptions.ini file (it opens up in notepad by default). Set RenderDistance to 1000. Set ShadowQuality to 0. There's no gain in setting it lower than 1000, not even 300, at least not for me, but you can try and see if it helps even more. Be sure to lower it to at least 1000 though since it does impact your FPS a lot. I can go into details as to why, but it'll drag on and I'm sure you're not that interested into the technical details but just want to gain some frames.

3) Download http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster It's an application by Razer which shuts down all unnecessary processes just before you launch the game and fires them back up when you exit the game. It's just an application which automatically helps the PC allocate all resources to your game. You can launch every game using this application. Just be sure to launch the game using the application.

4) In game I set everthing to HIGH (leave the boxes unticked) but turn of the music (since it sucks anyway in my humble opinion). Setting things to low, medium or high doesn't make a difference at all, at least not for me, as those who are having problems is because of the game not properly utilizing the CPU, not the GPU. Even on high the textures are severely outdated so don't worry about setting things to HIGH.

There are a few more "fixes" out there but they're all a bit risky (causing heat to build up in your PC and causing glitches rather than removing them). This is all I can give you for now, all I was willing to try, and it helped a lot. It's still not perfect, and things will get either better or worse depending on the up-coming patches, but give it a try since these "fixes" are all safe.
Last edited by Amarganth on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:21 am Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
I'm going to look into the parked cores thing and the render distance ... I have everything set to low (had it on medium previously) and it does run smoother but if there is a big fight, I still drop to +/- 10 - 20 FPS.

(I have an ATI 5770, the main problem me thinks)
Yukio Mishima wrote:…we, never seeking power and giving no thought to personal advancement, go forth to certain death to become the foundation stones for the Restoration.

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
SonyRaptor wrote:I'm going to look into the parked cores thing and the render distance ... I have everything set to low (had it on medium previously) and it does run smoother but if there is a big fight, I still drop to +/- 10 - 20 FPS.

(I have an ATI 5770, the main problem me thinks)

If you press ALT + F in game you will see your FPS and CPU or GPU in brackets in the lower left corner, depending on what is actually "bottlenecking" the game. It says CPU for me even though the game doesn't even use 30%. That's because the game is built around single core CPUs. So a single core running on 4GHz will have much better FPS than a PC with 8 cores running on 2 GHz. Yea, the game needs a lot of optimization, but your GPU is fine. Have you seen the textures? On High they look like a something you'd see 10 years ago. Some textures are worse than vanilla WoW textures.

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 am Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
Thanks, I have applied the .ini tweaks and I'll see what they do for me. I didn't see any "parked" cores despite the program telling me the cores are parked (Windows performance monitor can tell you if cores are parked, didn't know that).

I have an AMD X4 Phenom 925.
Yukio Mishima wrote:…we, never seeking power and giving no thought to personal advancement, go forth to certain death to become the foundation stones for the Restoration.

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
SonyRaptor wrote:Thanks, I have applied the .ini tweaks and I'll see what they do for me. I didn't see any "parked" cores despite the program telling me the cores are parked (Windows performance monitor can tell you if cores are parked, didn't know that).

I have an AMD X4 Phenom 925.

True, I didn't see any parked cores either using the system resource monitor, however I did unpark them nevertheless and saw a performance boost. The application just finds the registry entries and alters the values so that Windows never parks the cores again. There's a tutorial on youtube how to do it manually and I've checked prior to unparking the cores, the values indeed were set to allow Window to park when necessary, so I unparked them just to be sure and it helped.

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:22 pm Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
Thanks a lot.

The game for me is unplayable. I know my PC is on the low side of the requirements but I hope those tips you gave will allow me to give it a real try.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 am Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
So I had a look at the game's FPS report system and it constantly shows "CPU" and these words are coloured teal. Does this indicate that my CPU is the true bottleneck?

Occasionally the GPU pops up as yellow but it's mostly CPU in teal. Do the colours mean anything?

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:41 am Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
SonyRaptor wrote:So I had a look at the game's FPS report system and it constantly shows "CPU" and these words are coloured teal. Does this indicate that my CPU is the true bottleneck?

Occasionally the GPU pops up as yellow but it's mostly CPU in teal. Do the colours mean anything?

I doubt the colours mean anything. It says your CPU is the true bottleneck, however people with Core i7 CPUs get frame rate drops to 20 FPS. Really, it's just a gimmick which doesn't mean much because the game is possibly the worst optimized game ever to be released.

On a side note. The game suffers severely from memory leakage. Restart the game every 60 minutes of play-time if possible because after about an hour the game drop from 10 to 30 FPS (on top of the already bad FPS).

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 am Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
Yeah, the memory leak is definitely there. After about 2-3 hours I need to restart the game.

I disabled shadows completely and that seems to have given me quite an FPS boost. I think I'll try unparking the cores next although they all seem to be at a 100% use when I play PS2 so I think I don't have any problems with parking.

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:57 pm Subject: Re: A few fixes which will raise your FRAMES PER SECOND Top
decreasing renderdistance to 10k doubled my fps, 1000 was well i didnt see anything beyond 200meters or so. by default it was 999.999 (o.o)

Next

Return to The Art of War - Instructions & Tactics